Friday, October 9, 2009

Words of Inspiration from Samoa

This was sent from my Uncle in Samoa.

"Hello family, life here in the islands is still in the fear stages I guess. People that were affected do not want to move back near the sea and are still camping in the bushes. Supplies of basic needs are still being delivered to them. Yesterday we had 5 stakes including ours went out there in forces to help with cleaning up and it was indeed a site to see all these help, while there, people were still burying their dead. Had to rush back home after that to check on the funeral service for the parents of a sister in our ward only to be met with another tsunami warning, so had to hold that off while evacuating to higher grounds. This warning was caused by an earthquake between Vanuatu and the Solomon Islands. When the warning was called off we had to hurried through the funeral service and burial before it gets dark. It was very touching to see this brother and sister losing their parents and two kids in the disaster with the wife of the brother still in hospital with critical injuries. Today we visited with our Area President and his wife to the hospital to some of our members there, and will later visit to the camps out in the affected area. I think it is one of the most needed service for these people to have some spiritual and emotional counseling and help and this visit by our leaders is very much appreciated. Early morning yesterday, the plane carrying help from the Church in SLC arrived and will be given out to the government and to the people soon. As of now the official death toll is now 142 with still 7 reported missing. People a still living in fear so any small tremor of an earthquake you see everyone in panic mode heading for the hills. We have our 72 hour back-bags by the door now that whenever we had to run, we'll just grap and move. Yesterday when the warning came Chris and Ra were at school so they just went with all the students at the gathering place allocated. Lolini was at home as she was sick with the flu while I was on my way back from the service project. Had to hurry and picked her up with our needed supplies and went to the hills. Only met with Ra and Chris later after the warning was called off. Imagine if the real thing happened and we don't get to see each other, it would be devastating, but I guess if there is a message here for all of us, we all need to be prepared no matter what. My dear family I asked that you all prepare yourselves not only for the natural disasters physically but spiritually as well so when things do happen, we will be able to cope with them. Missing a love one I guess is ok, but losing 4 or 6 at once is just too painful and that's what these people have face. So family thank you so much for all the support and help that you are all putting together to help with our people here. It would really make a difference to a life of someone that will benefit from your kindness, and we will indeed feel better that we had lend a helping hand. Please extent a thank you to those that have contributed such as Alex's company, other individuals and to all our families, I will sent you a report once this help is given to account for your kindness. God Bless you all."

I'm so grateful for my Uncle and his example that he sets. I'm also grateful for his words of inspiration and encouragement. I'm very grateful for my family and for the gospel and just knowing the "Families Are Forever". My thoughts and prayers continue to be with the people of the South Pacific especially my Uncle and his family. I love you and hope that all will be OK in PARADISE.

2 comments:

  1. Your uncle unknowingly is giving comfort to many through your posts! It's very reassuring!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so touching. I enjoy reading the update. My heart aches for our people back home. Love you all and God Bless SAMOA!!!

    ReplyDelete